Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Purple & Grey

This week I have been working on an Urchin Wings Peacock Mirror Compact by Mikki Ferrugiaro. I am using Dark Purple, Amethyst and Gunmetal as my color palette in hopes of entering this piece in the Operation Tackle that Bead Stash March Challenge.

The March Challenge colors are Purple and Grey, which is a longtime favorite of mine but one that I have not used in my beading until now! And of course I have 3 sizes of seed beads plus Triangles and Cubes in both of these colors so this project is very appropriate for Operation Tackle that Bead Stash!

I am using round seed beads in Toho #90 Metallic Dark Purple, Toho #611 Matte Metallic Gunmetal, Miyuki #451 Metallic Gunmetal, Miyuki size 11/0 Delicas in #306 Matte Metallic Gunmetal, 3mm Gunmetal Fire Polish rounds, 3.4mm Gunmetal Fringe beads and Amethyst Rivolis.

It's a very dark and slightly subtle color palette but it works great together. And I really love that Toho #90...it's a beautiful dark metallic purple (that does not photograph well at all)

So far I stitched all of the components and have just started attaching the wings to the center Rivoli. It's going very smoothly but I am sure there will be some tricky needle maneuvers when I have to attach that last wing...

Here is a photo of my WIP (photo was taken with my iPhone for quick results, but with quick results, you often sacrifice photo quality...)



I am hoping to finish this piece today as I have several other projects in progress on my bead trays that I look forward to working on and of course many more that I can't wait to start...It seems that the more projects I have in progress, the more I am inspired to start even more projects!

And that always leads to more bead shopping...and I am really trying to use beads from my stash rather than buy more at this point. Being unemployed and in the process of moving 650 miles away is not really a great time to be bead shopping! Luckily I have quite a stash to work from but the temptation to buy beads is always there...

So even though I am down on my luck with fiances, I have been experiencing some luck in winning blog hops lately. It all started when I won a $25 Gift Certificate from The Hole Bead Shoppe's Facebook & Blog hop contest...then I won a Dream Vessel Ring tutorial from Marcia DeCoster's 'Share the Love' blog hop, then a $25 GC followed by a $50 Gift Certificate from Mikki Ferrugiaro's The Beaded Carpet blog giveaway!

So while I am unemployed, at least I can keep myself busy (and distracted from depression) with all the awesome tutorials I have been able to purchase with these winnings! I am looking forward to Mikki's release of her newest Pineapple Lace tutorial...I really love the idea of Beaded Lace and her designs are truly inspired!

And maybe my luck will hold and I could win the awesome stash of Seed Beads being offered by RB Beads in the UK as the prize for the OTTBS March Challenge! Crossing my fingers and toes for this one!

And becaue these earrings fit into the Purple and Grey color palette, here is a pair of earrings (ok, just one of the earrings) that I made for an earring swap on Beading Daily. The pattern is "Deco Lotus Earrings" by Gwen Fisher from Beadwork Magazine issue Oct/Nov 2009.


I used Antique Silver seed beads, Crystal Silver Night Bicones and Amethyst CZ Teardrops. I am really loving the Antique Silver color lately...both Miyuki (#464A) & Toho (#711) have this color and it really does look like tarnished Sterling Silver. They are not metal beads though...regular glass seed beads with a metallic nickel silver finish.

I think I just might continue playing with this palette...I have several other variations of the Purple & Grey palette that woud be excellent together...and the more pieces I make, the more chances I have to win that awesome prize, right? Oooh, I just need more beads...Haha!

4 comments:

Karyn said...

Wow you are doing an amazing job on the Urchin Wings. It looks so mysterious in the black and purple...can't wait to see it finished. I have this pattern in my shopping cart so much finish the order so I can get started...such a stunning pattern.

Nice work with all of your latest wins! Free stuff certainly helps when you are on a tight budget!

Karyn

Therese's Treasures said...

Vimala,
Oh wow I can not wait to see this gorgeous piece finished. Purple and gray tones are perfect for this piece. You do such lovely work with seed beads. Congrats on all of your winnings.
Therese

Tia Dalma said...

Thank you so much Karyn and Therese! I am definitely having fun with this color palette and with Mikki's tutorials!
This Urchin Wings design is even better in person!

Unknown said...

I've gone through your article and wanna say that "Best of Luck" because I think, You're doing great job and I personally love working with Purple Beads and it's my favorite color as well. Anyway, thanks for sharing this.